Monday, December 22, 2014

Drunken Bacon Jam

Christmas. Not really my favorite time of year. Mostly because I have worked in retail for about 80% of my working life thus far. I have seen what Christmas does to people. So in order to avoid the angry crowds and long lines I make most of my gifts. Good thing my family and friends love my creations! For my Dad this year I wanted to stray from the usual sweets and chocolates and give him something savory. Enter my favorite baking goddess: Brown Eyed Baker. Her recipes are always simple yet daring, and this one was no exception. I modified the recipe just a bit to give it my own "sauced" spin. Its a good thing it makes a large batch, because after I tested the finished product I was sure that my Dad was going to want both of the jars that I made.

Drunken Bacon Jam


  • 1 lb. thick cut bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup brewed dark roast coffee
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 1 tbsp. Jameson Irish Whiskey, feel free to add more if desired
  • 1/3 rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • pinch of red pepper flakes
Brown the bacon in a large saucepan, about 20 minutes or until crisp. Remove the bacon pieces and saute the onions in the bacon grease until softened, about 10 minutes. Lower the heat and return the bacon to the pan as you add in the remaining ingredients, in no particular order. Allow the mixture to thicken at a low simmer for 1 -1 1/2 hours. Let the mixture cool and then transfer it to a food processor, pulse the bacon mixture until it reaches a jam-like consistency, do not puree. It may have a few chunks of bacon left, but I have never met a soul who didn't appreciate chunks of bacon, and if they don't there is something very wrong with them....

No comments:

Post a Comment